Wednesday, June 28, 2006

FAMILY REUNIONS-OR WHEN IRISH EYES ARE SMILING

Well the Little Woman’s family had their reunion this weekend, an endless 3 days of chitchat and eating. Nothing says Irish family reunion like a good slice of pizza, with a house full of Irishman! Of course in the process you begin to realize how old those about you are getting. Not that I’m getting older, but the others are showing signs of getting older. They are not a sharp as they used to be, somewhat out of focus, or blurry looking. I had no idea people could do that! They are becoming harder to hear, as they start to reduce down to a whisper, lowing their voices in each utterance. (They must get out of breath quickly.) Physical movement has become a problem: as I had to slow down so as not go too fast in my movements, in case they might get dizzy. Memory has also become an issue! It seems they insist on bringing up names and places best forgotten, as I do that best. I forgot everything there was to remember, and they don’t realize they are supposed to, too.

The Little Woman’s family says everything in a singsong voice. It sounds more like an Irish-American opera that has gone dangerously out of control and has no fat lady to end it. Her sister and both brother’s almost sing each sentence, but avoid the aria. I, along with the spouses of the Irish tenors just sit and listen; we do applaud on occasion just to let them know we are listening. This singsong varies greatly from the Italian way, which is to yell our sentences and to use sign language. Not that Italians are deaf or angry, but to make sure everyone is listening, and that you can join the conversation once we insult you into it.

One of the pleasures of family reunions is to see someone you haven’t seen in a while and they enthusiastically enter the place, all smiles and filled with stories, mostly funny. This occurred on two occasions, once when my Brother-in-law Dennis came in, and wouldn’t you know it, when his son Mathew came in a day later. Now Dennis is beginning to remind me of his Uncle Bill. Uncle Bill loved to tell stories, and you were compelled to listen because they were interesting, and sometimes very funny. Mathew is a very handsome and engaging young man. He’s the kind of person that is just sincere in his whole outlook, conversation and body language. When you see Mathew, you’ve had a good day.

At one point in the reunion, a lovely vision appeared at my door, and it was my niece Meghan, the very soul of what is beautiful. She had tagging along a fellow by the name of Harry. Meghan was always beautiful, as a child, her eyes would command your attention, as she jumped about, having a rollicking good time with all her cousins. She would tumble, leap, and screech with delight as she turned a perfect boring day into a day of gratitude that I was alive too. Now she is a beautiful young woman and has a very sophisticated air about her. Meghan is now laid back, serene and calm. Harry is a very nice fellow, that if I had a daughter that was dating, Harry is what I’d want my daughter to date.

Of course the family reunion could not be complete without my sister-in-law Maureen. Now Maureen knows everybody. The Connecticut phone company sends her the phone book to see if they left anyone out before they publish it! All Maureen’s conversations are about other people, never herself, just facts and stories, never gossiping, just bringing you the latest good news. Her son Steven like his old man, smart, good looking and likes to implant little known facts about anything that strikes their fancy, while my sister-law Angela, Dennis’ wife will give you the supporting background to any conversation as she like a good math teacher does, always has a solution. Angela is a typical mother, always worrying about her kids. Whenever I hear someone from north of Albany speak, I automatically think of Angela.

It was fun to see them all, and I’m sure I will see them again, or at least some of them, as now we go into phase II of family reunions as the cousins meet in Plainedge in a few weeks.

No comments: