Tuesday, June 06, 2006

OK POP, TIME TO PAY UP!

Graduation day is quickly coming upon us. Time to open the old wallet and give the kid something for a job well done. He’d get even more if he got married that day and moved out, too. We will settle for just graduation, and the joy of knowing he wants to go on to higher education. Fortunately all the colleges I know ARE more than one story high.

I asked a question of the Little Woman as to what to get the kid for graduation. Having a party for him is not his graduation party but mine, since I’m celebrating that the kid isn’t stupid, therefore the party is not enough. I held on tight with white knuckles onto my throat and almost choked to death as I awaited her answer, praying for something under a second mortgage. She told me, and I sighed a sigh of relief, since it is not as expensive as the National budget.

When I was in high school, and graduated, my parents threw me a party too. I didn’t get a present for graduating, unless you think that Dad telling you: you will work all day for six days a week and occasional Sundays with special jobs for the boss a gift. The gift was in the job, it was appropriate because I was paying my own way through college, and had made arrangements to work at night after 6PM in Hill’s Supermarket, where I closed with the cleaning and stock crew at 11PM.

Of course my going to college made it possible for the kid not to have to worry about too many jobs, just one to keep him out of trouble, and give him a sense of worth in helping to defray the cost of his education.

I’m actually very proud of my son going on to higher education, and thinking about his future like he is, because when he is done educating himself, and gets that dream job, the Little Woman and I along with the dog, are going to move. We are going to move in with the kid, where he can take care of us for a change. In fact, I will get rid of both cars, so he can taxi us around, and pay for our late nights out on the town as he awaits our call at 1:30 AM telling him where we are.

Boy, I can’t wait.

No comments: