Friday, July 28, 2006

THE FINAL DAY-THE FINAL CHAPTER

I often wondered what the final day of my professional career would be like. Well, I’m about to find out. Today I will leave home when everyone else is starting their day, I will cruise at a leisurely pace and when I get there, I get there.

It will be a difficult day in many ways. I will be saying goodbye to the best people as a whole I have ever worked with. Not once did I see anyone slack off, all have a smile and a ready laugh, everyone jumped to be helpful. Some people I will remember for their kindness, some for their expertise, and one individual I will remember for both.

You can’t find a better gentleman than Frank our computer guru. The man is a genius, waiting to get even better. I think he is the most loved of all the people that work there. He is on demand, has a demanding job, and always comes through. Frank always has an answer to any question, and you run smoothly as an 8 cylinder Rolls Royce in your workday. Frank is so loved by his peers there is a group of cartoons by a very good aspiring artist named Tom, who through humor has chronicled Frank’s life, from the smallest details to his wedding day.

This morning has dawned dark and dreary, but to me the sun still shines, today is hot and humid, and to me I feel a cool breeze. Don’t get me wrong, I will miss what I enjoyed most, what I struggled for to obtain, what I became. It took me away from poverty, allowed me to retire at this age, and defined whom I am. The trouble is you have hours in which to do things, restrictions with capabilities of presses, and budgets, and sometimes people can get in the way, not to mention Monday mornings.

Yesterday I had the good fortune of having been treated by the two groups I work with, the front end of the business and the back end. The twain met in Mamma Theresa’s and the lunch was great because of the company involved. Thanks gals, I love you all.

So goodbye rush hour, deadlines, meetings, frustration.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Joe;

It has been an honor and a privilege to work with you. Your sense of humor and your ability to tell a good joke will be missed around here. I appreciate your kind words. It’s because of considerate and patient folks like you that I actually make it to work in the morning at all.

Good luck in retirement. Hope you get to do all the things you wanted to do, that a job used to get n the way of.

Frank