Tuesday, July 25, 2006

I CAN’T HELP IT

Lately I'm in a state of euphoria. I march around the office and people stopped to ask what I'm smiling about. I answer with what comes immediately to mind. The number of days left before I hang it up. Sometimes they don't even ask; they just stick out their tongues at me. It's nothing but ugly, vicious jealousy that makes them that way. I know because I've been there. One person, a lovely lady said, “You should be skipping down the halls.” I tried it and do feel a little ridiculous, but maybe that feeling will go away.

It's hard to take a deadline seriously, although I work hard at it to maintain some integrity, after all they are paying me, so I try to work hard. I have the Friday afternoon step in my walk, you know the one I'm talking about, when the weekend approaches. Well guess what, I have it on a large scale, almost dance-like, and I must remind myself not to sing out loud.

I have noticed new phenomena with the eminence of retirement: I'm very forgiving! My son wants a ride, no problem just hop in the car. The Little Woman wants to rebuild the house, just wait here while I get a hammer. You want to borrow money, forget it. (I guess it only goes so far.)

I feel a constant giddiness whenever I think about work that needs to be done for next week, and want to jump for joy because I won't be there. I've decided I can't stand me either, but I can't help it. I'm sure this feeling will quickly escape me once the Little Woman starts issuing orders both verbally and written.

One thing I do know is that I will definitely miss everyone at the office, because they are all very pleasant and professional. I have never witnessed a harder working group of people, who also make it great to be around them. And just about everyone I tell that I'm retiring, wishes me well, and is very happy for me. My sister's think it's the best decision I can make besides saying “goodnight” to them when I visit.

The funny thing about it all is I called my 88 year old Mother to tell her, and before I could, she tells me she went back to work at the hospital! Now how do you tell your Mother that after she tells you she's going back to work?

No comments: