Monday, July 17, 2006

IT’S SO HOT…

A dog was chasing a cat down the street, and they were both walking!

Now that’s hot! But why does it have to be so hot? And what about this humidity?? OK, so I’m complaining. Why not, the heat takes away a lot of the fun in life. I prefer cool rainy days myself, and whenever I hear someone say they can’t wait for spring, I think to myself “will the heat and humidity be far behind, can you wait for that?”

I can understand nature’s need for rain, but the heat and humidity and I can’t understand. When the temperature reaches the mid 90’s and it’s humid, how can anyone think or care about anything? You don’t feel like eating, because you raise your body temperature. You don’t want to do any physical activity because once you do you start to perspire. If you walk a street the heat generates from the concrete, you can’t exercise so what have you?

Fortunately for me I do have a pool to cool off in. The pool will keep you cool if you stay in it long enough, but you must be careful of the sun so you don’t burn. I have a floating lounge chair that I sit in and I drift aimlessly around the pool. Of course getting into the pool takes a lot of work. You want to change into a bathing suit, get a towel and walk over the hot ground and ease into the cool water, a little at a time or just dive in. In either case you are shocking your body, and once you are in… you notice you have to go the toilet! So out you go, dry off because you don’t want the Little Woman hollering at you for getting “My floors” all wet.

I feel concern for those who have no pool. They may have air conditioners, but they cost electricity, and seem to make noise if its not central air. How long can you listen to that steady “rrrrrr” or whatever noise it makes? When I worked while I was in college and high school, the factory had no air conditioner that worked. All it had was a giant fan that was supposed to cool off a large room with high ceilings that were flat and made of metal and tar covered. The heat was so unbearable when climbing and running up and down a ramp to load and unload trucks, your feet would get wet and blistered from the heat and humidity.

I hate to say it but the only place that works for me is work.

No comments: