Wednesday, July 19, 2006

TIME TO CALL IT A DAY

The party’s over, time to put away the toys, gather up the mementos and head on home. Yesterday I served notice that at the end of the day on July 28th, I will be officially retired. I feel somewhat sad that I am retiring, but feel the time has come. It is no longer fun, it is routine, it is hard to stay on top and it is so automatic that I am designing in my sleep now. Of course who I am will now have to be redefined, and my inner self will have to come out more.

On the plus side there is the volunteer work for the Agency I serve on the Board of Directors for, and there is my love of painting, drawing and wood sculpture. I have started a love affair with gardening that germinated this year, and I love to create new recipes and will start a cookbook of my own with low fat low carbohydrate meals. I can follow a Mets or Jets game late into the night now when they are on the west coast and not worry about work the next day.

Maybe now is the time to start worrying about myself. Life is getting short, and I really want to feel a sense of freedom, of independence, and if I have the opportunity, why not? Let the younger generation continue the struggles of raising families, and hard work, I’m tired. So goodbye work world, hello new world, and maybe I’ll find some new field to explore and enjoy.

No comments: