Wednesday, August 30, 2006

THE BABY IS STARTING COLLEGE!

The baby is starting college??!!

The house is in shock this morning, we awaken to a new era, one filled with pride and uncertainty, and feeling the newness of it all and feeling old. There are no children in my household anymore.

It is a dark overcast morning, the Little Woman has drunk a whole pot of coffee before I even got up, and the quietness is eerie but loud. I try to read a newspaper but that little echo keeping bouncing off the walls “The baby is starting college.”

I don’t mean to feel sorry for myself, but once again the world is revolving into change. One revolution, 24 hours and things are not the same.

When the Little Woman cracks a joke, you know things are changing. I found this red spot about half the size of a dime in the fold of my right arm, showed it to the Little Woman and she said “cancer.” Well so much for complaining. Her joke is from nervousness.

Where is that little infant that the doctor held up and said “it’s a boy!” the little infant that then peed across the bed and onto my shoes? Now that I think about it, where is that little kid that played the toy violin and drums and had toys scattered all over the house? We used to take his picture on the first day of kindergarten, or was it first grade and every first day since.

There was a toddler that went around the house and made us laugh until his teenage years, who came into our lives just in time, where is he? I know, he is going out into the world to try and right things for mankind, to solve some of life’s mysteries, to help feed the poor, to try and make this place a better world for all. I hope he succeeds in at least one of these things, it is a hard world.

Michael has worked hard this past year, being not only a good student, but also a good son and we are sure he is just starting to succeed.

No comments: