Saturday, August 26, 2006

WELL, I CAN’T READ OR SEE EVERYTHING!

Yesterday I went to the library. Being how it was raining, I figured it was a good way to spend a day and take home some good stuff that I could enjoy by myself. I selected a good book, about heart breaking losses in baseball and two DVDs, one with James Mason and Richard Burton, “Desert Rats” and a horror flick the way it should be made with Boris Karloff.

While perusing the shelves of the cinema and literary worlds, I couldn’t help but notice that I am missing a great deal of selection from the bottom shelves. It seems that my body has decided what I shall read or see. If it means I have to bend my knees, or worst still, bend at the waist, forgettaboutit.

Unless there is money on the ground, or a picnic lunch on a blanket, you “Ain’t getting me ta bend down.” No, my body has certain limits, it refuses too be inconvenienced and will react angrily to my pushing it. I have tried to: reason with it, begged it, bribed and cajoled it, it just won’t do it.

I suspect that the defiance is due to my retirement, and the fact that if I won’t sit in traffic, I’m not bending down.

So if I’m missing the boat in literature and the cinema, it’s probably because they put the boat on the bottom shelf.

No comments: