Tuesday, September 19, 2006

WHAT? HUH? PARDON ME! COME AGAIN?

Did you ever spend time with deaf people?
I SAID-DID YOU EVER SPEND TIME WITH DEAF PEOPLE?
I spent time with a deaf lady yesterday. She is a very nice and giving lady. She is very opinionated, but so what. I said: “SO WHAT.”

I attended a small dinner party yesterday with TLW (the little woman), a beautiful single young 32-year-old woman who is a veterinarian and her parents. The Hostess was a 78-year-old deaf woman, who is just happy to see you and chat with you. I SAID: CHAT WITH YOU.” YOU” “CHAT WITH YOU.”

Rosetta the deaf woman can barely hear what you say, and can’t understand what she hears. She wears two hearing aids, but they don’t seem to help her much. Talking to Rosetta means you can only talk about one thing for the afternoon. The reason you talk about one thing only is: by the time you are done repeating yourself and rephrasing what you just said it’s time to go home!

TLW: “Hi Rosetta, how are you doing? It’s good to see you again.”
ROSETTA: Come again dear?”
TLW: I said Hi, How are you doing, good to see you again”
ROSETTA: “Gas is high? I just paid $2.59 down the road. No dear, the price is not going up again.”
TLW: “No, Rosetta, I said it’s good to see you again.”
ROSETTA: If you say so dear!!???!!???

While conversing with Rosetta, I was sitting next to the young lady (Jennifer), and as I shouted she jumped. I had to apologize for yelling and she understood, but by the time we left, we were all a little jumpy and a little hoarse from all the yelling. That is, except for Rosetta.

No comments: