Wednesday, October 04, 2006

I’M DRIVEN IN THE DARKNESS

The sun set early last night, as I swept around the final curve and into the parking lot at our local community college to collect Son #2.

I nervously sat in the darkness in lot #5 with a few minutes to spare and decided to get ready for the big event. As the moment I was dreading was about to begin, as I slid out of the driver’s seat and circled around behind my little truck, I kept thinking: “Do I want to do this?” I wondered if it was even legal, but took a deep breath and sat in the front seat next to the driver’s side.

The last few minutes ticked slowly by as I kept checking my watch and waited, keeping my eyes peeled for the familiar figure to descend the staircase that leads to parking lot #5, with his familiar gait, his legs and feet almost tumbling as he rolled down and approached the car.

This was it! He was going to drive in the dark for the first time, and I was going to wet my pants for the first time in 60 years. God, I wish I had a cigarette now: what ever made me quit? #2 climbed into the driver’s seat and turned the ignition, and as he did, asked me: “Why are you letting me drive now?”

We pulled away from the curve and slowly drove through the parking lot. Each turn was taken with confidence, almost professional like in approach. Every curve was navigated like a teamster, and the more relaxed I became in his confidence as he negotiated the lanes of Nicholls Road. He has arrived! My pants are clean! We have made it! All we need to do now is pass the damn road test.

No comments: