Friday, October 13, 2006

SUMMER SOLDIER, SUNSHINE MET FAN

TLW (The Little Woman) was awaiting me this morning, asking if the Mets won, as I trudged down the steps to the den, with a cup of coffee in my hand. I was exhausted from the night before, as I rooted for the Mets against the St. Louis Cards, into the late evening, dying and sighing over every pitch, holding my breath at each swing, keeping my heart in my chest at every line drive and dribble that occurred at the baseball palace known as Shea Stadium.

I am in a very serious point of my life now, as I have successfully urged on the Mets through the 2006 season, carrying them to this point. A lot has gone into it, much angst, pain and sorrow, along with elation, gratification and special spells I cast upon opposing teams throughout the 2006 season.

Being a fan is difficult, it requires much baseball fan savvy, rooting techniques that have been refined for over 55 years, first with Brooklyn, and now with the Mets. This is not done lightly, one must completely cleanse ones mind of outside distraction and concentrate. As a fan you must be able to think ahead of the manager, make decisions that affect the outcome of the game, and be able to call the manager a “Blockhead” when he doesn’t make the right move.

Since this is the playoffs, I’m thinking of opening up a press conference after each game to discuss my decisions and the outcome, but since I need my sleep, I will not.

As I sat down to have my cup of java, I responded to TLW’s question with an unqualified “YES!” No I wasn’t quoting Marv Albert, (Besides I don’t own a dress,) but expressing my elation and glee over my job well done the night before.

After answering her question in the affirmative, and seeing somewhat of a sense of satisfaction on her pretty face, I decided that I could do that too! Why go through all the physical and mental abuse when I can just wake up in the morning, look at the paper or TV and get the results. After all, while I was rooting, dying, and sighing, she was upstairs asleep!

I’m telling you, TLW is using me! Playing me like a team of old Cards!

No comments: