Wednesday, November 22, 2006

BUON GIORNATA TACCHINO RIPIENO!

Happy stuff turkey day! May your stuffing be complete, both for you and the turkey.

I was thinking about the holidays and what this all means, and I couldn’t help but think of my grandparents and father-in-law. It seems to me we think of faceless and nameless pilgrims from the Mayflower, cavorting with a few Native Americans that also remain nameless, and we miss the real Mayflower.

It seems to me that we should be celebrating immigrant day. The day that our ancestors came here, for the most part not knowing the customs and language of their new home. My Grandmother came here as a 15 year old girl, and raised a family, grew a business and had many grandchildren, and we all owe her for that voyage she made. The same thing can be said for my Grandfathers, and Great Grandparents.

TLW (The Little Woman) too, has her Dad to thank for the same very reasons. Although he didn’t come from the same place, or share passage on the same ship, tomorrow should be the day we celebrate his courage, his journey and his sacrifices here in America, as we see the wonderful family he has.

So tomorrow, think of those who thought of the future, not only theirs, but ours, and preserve that memory every Thanksgiving day.

HAPPY STUFFED TURKEY DAY!

No comments: