Friday, December 15, 2006

IT’S PARTY TIME!

Yes, that special day of the year when we get to party for Santa and/or Jesus or for Channukka/Chanuka or however way it is spelled. We are also celebrating Kwanza and we should really find the equivalent for our Asian brethrens too. Of course Mr. Costanza has Festivus for the rest of us. I just shined and decorated my aluminum pole for the holiday.

Today I attend an office party that I was invited to by my last company that I worked for. Even though I retired, the “Old Man” wants to see me on occasion for some work if I would. It is nice to be needed. Of course this means I have to shave today, and wear a tie.

Actually, I have been hoping to attend, since every year that I do, I totally enjoy myself, partaking in the great Italian traditions of culinary excellence at this time of year. Although the Old Man is not Italian, he insists on these kinds of parties. A wise man once said: “Let’s have Italian today.”

There will of course be people that I truly love to see, people that I respect, and some that I don’t but they don’t know it. Why make them feel bad when I can be a phony.

There is one party in my past that I will never forget. I was working in New York City for an ad agency, and there was booze galore, and some women who thought that it would be OK to let it all hang out. Well they started on me, and being married with two small children, I decided I better get the hell out of there before it got bad. Although nothing happened, I felt guilty the whole ride home on the train. When I got home TLW (The Little Woman) was making dinner, and #1 Son was on the floor near the tree, playing with his Spiderman action figure and I just sat down and said to myself, “Boy, what a wuss I am, but it’s worth the wussiness.

Tomorrow, all the sordid details will come to light, Are there any affairs that are going on, will there be any scandals brewing, or will it be just another party, is anyone about to be canned? And most importantly, do you really care

No comments: