Tuesday, December 26, 2006

THE POLISH EAGLE HAS LANDED

It was after supper, as I sat in my Mom’s living room, eagerly contemplating my ideas on nuclear fusions, when who should arrive but Johnny Humar*, he was a rebel who roamed through the west. No, actually he was Polish, and roamed through the different factories and offices of Long Island as an IBM “Customer engineer” with his wing tipped shoes, short haircut, shirt and tie, and bag of tools. But this evening he was wearing an opened collar shirt and a plaid winter coat.

I was given the usual admonishments about minding my own business, not asking any questions and hopefully disappearing off the face of the earth until her birthday with a gift in my hand, as my older sister (much older) would meet her date for the evening. The problem with this IBMer was that he looked like he fit right in.

Was there hope, would I not have an old maid older sister (much older) on my hands? I would do everything in my power to accommodate Tess, and let her go on her date in peace. There was a GOD!!!! This didn’t seem like a casual acquaintance after a while, as he continuously came back for more. I was starting to admire his fortitude, his stamina, and his lack of insight. Yes, John was gonna fall!!

Actually, John was an adopted older brother, who became part of the family, and made it harder for all the other poor guys that married my sisters, as he made a large impact with his generous spirit in helping others, his enthusiasm for the same teams I rooted for, and the fact that my Dad was unloading the first of the four members of the covenant.

Why am I telling you this, especially after Christmas Day and a two-day layover? Because it’s his birthday! Yes, he has survived living with Lucy Ricardo all these years with just a few pounds added and a little hair subtracted. Retired now, he counts his blessings and his money, as he showed me how to get three cups of tea from the same tea bag, taking a piece of sliced bread, and butterflying it to make a sandwich, and using both sides of the Kleenex, all in the name of saving$. He has three great kids, (see August 27th blog) with grandchildren and a house full of people every Christmas Eve. He also sleeps with his golf clubs and his money.

With all the kidding aside (Who’s kidding?) John has always been a good guy, always hospitable, kind hearted and just decent in every way. I’m glad Tess married John; he is a model of a father and husband, a great granddad and one terrific brother-in-law to all. We all have kidded him about being Polish, but he shares all his kielbasa with us all on Easter Sunday, laughs some of the times and has eaten up our Italian culture as if it was his own.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOHN!

*Johnny Humar was a TV show character in the early 60’s.

No comments: