Wednesday, January 10, 2007

SOMETIMES YOU JUST HAVE TO DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO

Did you ever have an urge to do or eat something that you could almost taste? There are few things that make me have an urge, when they do, I have to react.

When I was coming out of High School, I wanted to be an artist/designer and work in NYC. The glamour of the big city, the color of the business, the excitement of doing something that is seen on a national level was very intoxicating to a country boy living in the sticks of Long Island back in the early sixties. So I went to college and became a Graphic Designer, in spite of all kinds of odds, and with the help of my parents, my brother-in-law John, my best friend Phil and my Aunt and Uncle. I hitchhiked from railroad stations many miles to the campus, I ate nothing all day to say money for the train fare, I hid in the toilet when the trainman came to collect fares and I didn’t have any money to pay. I know it was a thief of services, but I was desperate like any criminal would be. I know it was wrong, but I did do it, I’m sorry, but I’m also glad that I got away with it. The trains still operated the way they did regardless of whether I paid the fare or not, late and no heat in the winter and no ac in the summer.

Since Christmas Eve, I’ve been having a yen for a certain dish that I love at an Italian restaurant called Anthony’s in Ronkonkoma. It’s a seafood dish that has calamari, shrimp and other shellfish in a spicy garlicy marinara sauce. This is my favorite dish. If I have ever go to the chair, give me that, forget about desserts or appetizers, just that.

I was telling TLW (The Little Woman) how I have this urge for the dish, and being how she is going to her Holiday dinner tonight at the Irish Coffee Pub, I should treat myself to the dish. I said what about my diet? She said just don’t eat a lot of pasta, the fish is good for you. She’s right, olive oil, garlic, seafood, tomato sauce, none of that is very bad, there is no cheese, and no red meat involved and it’s the perfect dish to break from a diet for, and I will eat it in moderation. What a gal TLW is!

So tonight, while TLW is with her Paisano’s in the Irish Coffee Pub, probably eating mutton pie and kippers, I’m going to be feasting on my favorite dish! Oh, by the way, I spent an awful lot of money on fares with the Long Island Railroad since I graduated from college and went to work in the city.

No comments: