Sunday, January 28, 2007

WORKING WITH A GENIUS

Today I went to the Apple Store to inquire why my wireless connection keeps begging for wires. Going in I was directed to a computer where I had to put in for an appointment. I seems the new store is there because of the Ipod! People were forming lines, mostly young, with expressions of bereavement or down right grief, begging and pleading for help, tears blinding their eyes as they wandered aimlessly about the establishment crying: “Why, Why? Somebody help me!” And: “Oh Lordy, hep me!”

I was on exclusive waiting list of Mac vets, or IPOD users, and when I was announced, a gentleman wearing a black T-shirt with the word “Genius” on it met with me. I secretly hoped he wouldn’t lose his title after my problem. Conferring briefly with Genius was “Creative” and believe me, I think they converse when Genius is at a loss for answers.

I explained to Genius that instead of apples I was getting lemons. He nodded his head in agreement as I explained the problem, never once taking his eyes of the machine. We took the machine for a walk around the mall, since it was a wireless issue we were trying to solve, and everything seemed to work in the store, as well as in the mall.

He immediately got to the crux of the problem, he didn’t know what the problem was. I suspect he is studying to become a lawyer, maybe even a politician, as he suggested that the problem had to do with wireless phones, microwaves and strange hidden forces that interfere with the transmission of radio waves!

Technically, what he was saying to me was in layman’s lingo is: “You’re screwed.” “However; for $330, we send it away, all your problems go away. Never a cloudy day in your life again, the temperature at a steady 72 degrees. If however on the other hand, and all things considered, and you decide not to, wear a long heavy coat, and don’t forget the boots and umbrella."

1 comment:

Steve Philp said...

I think I remember you saying you were now using the Airport Extreme for your wireless.

Possible that you've got a 2.4GHz cordless phone in the house? Microwave nearby?

You can try changing the channel that the wireless network communicates on (Airport Admin Utility in the Applications -> Utilities folder). Might also try turning on the "Enable Interference Robustness" (gotta love the inherent "You're not smart enough to turn this on"-ishness in that phrase!).

Good luck!