Thursday, February 22, 2007

ENJOY YOURSELF, ITS’ LATER THAN YOU THINK

You know how that song goes: “Enjoy yourself while you’re still in the pink. Life goes by, quicker than a blink, enjoy yourself, enjoy your self its’ later than you think.”

Being how I’m retired now, I’ve developed some enjoyable habits and some enjoyable needs. The habit and need of wanting something to read everyday, a book that I can take from the library and spend part of an afternoon with, enjoying a cup of tea, the want and need to have a project that I can express myself for part of an afternoon, the sheer joy of freedom, to finally do what I want to do when I want to, to luxuriate in a hot bath tub in the quiet of the empty house.

Today I went to the library to get a book, they have a café there that sells coffee and sandwiches, and one can read a book or newspaper, or if you like a magazine and sip a hot cup of coffee in front of a real fire in a fireplace in a comfortable chair, making for a very civilized afternoon.

Sitting with me in front of the fire was an older gentleman who was reading a book, and a young woman who was reading a People Magazine like it was a suspense novel at its critical juncture, all the while holding on to her cup of coffee. There were no children to listen to, and no conversations to overhear, just the pure joy of solitude.

I think I will make this a habit of mine at least once a week, to take in this solitude and enjoy a different place and different atmosphere in which to read and think. I would sure have missed this opportunity if I were in the rat race still.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you mean besides the bathroom?