Wednesday, February 07, 2007

OH, BROTHER! BROTHER JUSTINIAN THAT IS

He was a tall man, with jet-black hair and a protruding Adam’s apple. He wore a long brown robe and brown shoes with a white rope tied around his waist. He was the principle of the Boy’s section of Our Lady Of Lourdes Elementary School. He was THE MAN, not to be fooled with, when corporal punishment was in vogue.

One could clearly hear Brother Justinian while standing under the Broadway Junction El, as the train would clatter and rumble by, making things tremble in the wake of it’s passing! His voice was so powerful it commanded respect; you prayed you never had to hear it. The only time you heard his voice was when there was trouble.

He would patrol the schoolyard playground with his arms crossed and his hands tucked into his large oversized sleeves, not daring to look him in the eye for fear of retribution for something that you may or may not have done. If you were suspected of any transgression, a big hand, about the size of a football field would come down and lay waste to your head.

I was in first grade when I had my first encounter with THE MAN. I was not that good at telling time yet, but I did know the time that school started. As I entered the school building, with its golden brick façade and heavy green metal doors, I noticed how strangely quiet things were. No one was in sight. Standing in front of his office was THE MAN. Waiting for me to go by, he stood in his familiar pose, arms folded, hands hidden, feet planted, and a hungry look in his ferocious eyes. As tried to slip past him with my first grade leather brown school bag with straps and buckles, his arm reaches way down and holds my shoulder. I stopped in mid-stride: looking way up I noticed he is showing me his watch. “Please God, I don’t KNOW how to tell time yet,” I thought. THE MAN: “What time is it young man?” boomed his voice, nearly knocking me down. I look; I see the small handle pointing to the “9.” I’m saved! “9 O’clock!” I proudly proclaim. I think: “He’s going to kill me for being late, but I’ll at least know what time I died!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joe:

I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw your blog. I graduated Lourdes in 1956 and remember Brother Justinian very well. Besides being principal, he was the organist/choirmaster (Lourdes had a wonderful boys choir in those days) and he ran the choir like he ran the school--with an iron fist. Loved going to that school and the job they did preparing us for life. Thanks for the memory.

Jim Pantaleno

Anonymous said...

Joe;
I attended OL/L 1944 to 1949,all 5th graders were auditioned by brother Justinian and if he chose you, you were told that from then on you were to report for choir practice at 8 o'clock instead of normal school start at 9 o'clock also after attending 9 o'clock mass on Sunday(manditory)you went to the school to practice with the mens choir and then to sing at the 11 o'clock high mass, I truly enjoyed being in the choir, loved the music,and had great admiration for brother Justinian. Disipline in catholic schools at that time was brutal and brother Justinian was no exception.
I lived at 369 Sumpter St.and graduated Lourdes in Jan. 1949.

Richard Kelley

Anonymous said...

Joe
I attended 1956-1960--I was in the choir and had Brother Declan for the 5th-6th and 7th grade-I then had brother arnold for the 8th.
I never had brother Gonzaga--thank god
One morning in the fifth grade brother justinian called my name for choir practice--I was not there My cousin was the choir boy--not me.Brother looked at me and said singing runs in my family--and i was drafted into the choir
I loved that choir
and I thank God for having known them.

JOHN CARONE said...

Joe
that last comment was from
John Carone
formerly from Hull St