Saturday, March 10, 2007

ANDY WARHOL, YOU’RE RIGHT!


You’ve all heard the Andy Warhol statement that everyone has at least 15 minutes of fame. My first 15 minutes came one evening in 1974 as I was watching TV. I really wasn’t watching because there was a commercial on for the US Post Office, and I don’t pay too much attention to commercials. But this one commercial started to get my interest because it was showing products and photos that started to look very familiar. I couldn’t put my finger on it at first, and then all of a sudden I noticed it was my artwork!

I happened to be working for the US Post Office designing stamp starter kits, and there they were featured in the commercial! It was a part of me for the first time on the national stage!

There were other times that became more personal. For seventeen years I worked for Publishers Clearing House, and three times I was featured on TV. One time was on the Joan Lundon Cable TV show, explaining the sweepstakes and how they work.

Another time was on the TV Show: “How Do They Do That?” with Pat O’Brien where they filmed me working at my computer, designing a sweepstakes brochure, and the most memorable time was on 20/20 with John Stossel, where they mention my name, show my office and blame me for the sweepstakes that you get in the mail.

Of course I notified my family and all I knew, and right after the show was over I called my Dad to seek his opinion, He said: “Fifteen minutes was all you were on?”

I guess Dad was hoping more for a talk show hosted by yours truly.

No comments: