Monday, March 12, 2007

PORK CHOPS BY THE SHOE STORE

Years ago when I was working in the city and taking the train and later as I drove for 17 years from my office on Long Island, certain nights of the month TLW (The Little Woman) would make pork chops for dinner.

Now as you all know there was a scare about pork and tapeworm and the fact that you have to cook pork completely through. OK, I can live with that. But it seemed that every time TLW made pork chops, I would be running late, either held up in a meeting, or traffic or the train was late, and when I arrived home, the chops were like shoe leather! Being how TLW’s Dad worked for a shoe store company, I figured that was the way she likes them. The only thing missing was the buckles or laces and a good shine. Then TLW straightened me out, explaining that it always seemed to be I was the fault that the chops were over cooked!

Whenever I find out that something went wrong or goes wrong because of my involvement I always try to put it in prospective, except when it comes to food and wine. Then I’m really mad at myself and consider self-whipping as a cure. I mean, here I was thinking it was her fault, when it was mine!

You can screw up my ride home, you can make my train late, but darn it, when I make my pork chop dried out, then I truly screwed up and should be yelled at.

To #1 and #2 Son’s, this is not about food, but lateness.

No comments: