Friday, April 06, 2007

JOSEPH MICHAEL, 1979-1981

One of the proudest moments in my life is when I have a child. Growing up with 4 sisters, although I love them all, I always wanted to have some sons to make up for the lack of brothers I never had.

My wishes came through, though I have to say life can be unfair.
Today, April 6th is my second son’s and my third child’s birthday. He would be 28 years old today, being born at 4:30 AM. Instead of celebrating his birthday, I will visit his grave and reflect on what might have been.

His name is Joseph, and he and I live every day together, at least in my mind. He never lived to see his second birthday, and why he died is not as important as that he lived. In his short life he never talked, never really walked, just barely stood up, but left a legacy of love and remembrance that will last my life time and span beyond my life. He and my daughter Ellen are part of the reason I give as much time as I can to help others, and try to leave people laughing and remembering that life is short, so why not enjoy it.

I wasn’t going to write about him, but I realize he as well as my other children are all alive in my mind, so why not? He lived and he gave my wife and I great joy while he was alive, as do my other children today. To deny his existence is to deny he lived, but he did, he smiled and laughed with us, and he played and he cried. He did all the things children do.

A few years ago I took a section of my property and built with my own two hands a garden, I put stone walls that retain sections of plants and flowers and a little entryway to the back yard with a archway that invites you to walk under and come on inside. I built ii in Joseph’s memory, it took me all day to do and whenever I see it, I can’t help but think of him. Someday I will put a few more plants there to remember two other children named Brendan and Thomas O’Hara, who were taken away at a very tender age from my Niece and Nephew Laurie Ann and Gerard. I hope to put a piece of art there to remember all the children that never saw their childhood.

So today I will treat myself to something I enjoy in his memory, and be glad I know him.

You know he was born on the sixth, I was born on the sixth, and my grandfather was born on the sixth, all different months, but all the same name.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great work.