Monday, April 23, 2007

MAKE IT SHORT

I figured it out that after 60 some odd years and three haircuts a year that comes to over 180 haircuts in my lifetime!

One thing I hate is going to the barbers for a haircut, the time it takes, waiting for my turn, the old magazines, and the usual chitchat that one must endure throughout the ordeal. Since most of the barbers I know and knew are foreigners, the conversation was always about what he read in the papers that day. Sometimes it’s politics, sometimes baseball, but always ending with the price of the haircut.

First thing I do is set the ground rules; make it short, and make it short. Short for the haircut and short for the time we spend in conversation, the reason being that I have experience as a customer, never to engage in a dispute as to any topic, when the maestro has the scissors or razor in his hand, and if he is Italian, will use body English and hand motion for emphasis. I don’t want short ears too.

One barber I used to go to was Hungarian, and had a habit of rolling his “R’s” when he spoke, necessitating my need for an immediate shower after the one he gave me. His partner was from Italy and would talk about things that happened in Italia, during il Segundo world war, aka: World War II.

Once I had a woman barber that was extremely hot looking and when she cut my hair, she would lean into my face with her chest, causing all kinds of guilt feelings when I got home and faced TLW (The Little Woman). I may have increased the frequency of haircuts during that period of time.

So today I either took or had a haircut, depending on how now I want to sound, but it was short, with little conversation, and no chest/head butting, and took only a few minutes!

No comments: