Sunday, May 06, 2007

INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY

TLW (The Little Woman) is not a violent person. This simple statement does not preclude her from watching violent shows. Not the car chase kinds, just simple run-of-the mill murders. I also like murder mysteries with or without mayhem.

The problem with all the above is TLW has perfected the art of interrogation, and somewhere in the house, and I don’t know where, developed a one-way mirrored room for inquisitions. She will fall asleep on the murder shows while I ‘m watching them, yet she has developed the techniques for a successful investigation, while I can’t figure out how to beat the rap.

A simple question from her such as: “where’s my change?” can cause me to sweat profusely. Sometimes I even confess to anything, figuring if I confess I cover all the bases, and maybe death will be a welcomed relief. Remember the movie with Woody Allen where he meets a bully and takes his glasses off and steps on them before the bully does? Same thing.

“How was your day?” Simple question, but what does she really mean? Did I do any work while she was away? “Did you fold those clothes from out of the dryer for me?)” She is really asking if I goofed off today but at least did that.

Identifying with the hero of the show is how she sees it, and I identify with the culprit. This is a natural course of events in any marriage. You always give the Little Woman the benefit of the doubt, the better seat, first pickings, etc. Naturally one of us has to be the bad guy, and frankly I prefer it that way, the black hats are always far more interesting.

No comments: