Monday, May 07, 2007

A WORLD GONE MAD

Every now and then something happens that makes me wonder if the world has gone mad.

Recently I received a letter from the Association for the Help of Retarded Children that the Board of Directors had selected me for Honorary Lifetime Membership! Usually when I get a letter from the organization, I kind of expect it to be a letter of resignation that needs my signature on it. Something like:

“Dear Mr. Bigmouth;
We the Board and all the staff, not to mention those we serve, including your Daughter wish you to resign. Frankly we can’t take it anymore, and are in desperate need of your resignation. Please, please sign and return it to us in the postage paid envelope immediately if not sooner.
The Board of Directors”

I’ve been on the Board for 18 years, and I must say that I am involved, however I never realized how involved I really am. This Blog is not to “Blow my own horn”, but to express astonishment in the news. I can think of many, many Board members that are more deserving of this honor, and should have gotten it. What I’m suggesting is that the wrong person got the resignation letter, and I got his/her letter by mistake! I’m sure of it.

I was President for 3 years, a full term, and chaired many committees as well as participated on many. I have given freely for the advocacy of the Association, including art and design and as a current member of the Board of Governors of NYSARC. They MUST be sick of me by now? No? I’ve been told I’m “Outspoken”.

I will go to the ceremony and will just sit there, when they announce the correct person, I will go up and accept the honor and say that that person was unable to attend and I am accepting it for him or her. Pretty good plan, No?

No comments: