Monday, July 16, 2007

TAKING THE HIGH ROAD

Driving with TLW (The Little Woman) takes on a new dimension every year that passes. Recently we were going to Target’s to get something for the yard and as I was the driver, she automatically became the navigator with admiral’s stripes, and one with a stern forbearance.

I admit there are times when I can’t tell my right from my left, and my elbow from my nose (went the other way) but most times I can. As we drove down the road, I noticed a certain detachment on the part of TLW, as she started to give instructions in a rather robotic cadence, fast and furious they came, and with a tone that was steady and to the point, totally focused on my being in the correct lane, at the correct speed, and at the right breaking point in our sojourn to spending more money.

“Turn right.” Said TLW.
“Get over to the right lane”, “slow down here”, and just a little editorial comment to break up her boredom: “I thought you weren’t going to stop behind that car!”

Of course my good nature, and the fact that I am a model husband, one with a great sense of humor, I let it all roll off my person and follow her instructions, with the dedication of a Kamikaze pilot looking for a nice ship to wreck.

No comments: