Tuesday, August 14, 2007

YOU TAKE SESAME, I TAKE POPPY

Now that TLW (The Little Woman) has gone to work and I stay at home, there seems to be some roll reversal going on!

TLW comes home, looks at the mail, eats and falls asleep in her chair. This was a lot funnier when I did it to TLW, but not any more. If I awaken her now, it better be because either: I have a snack for her, or the house is on fire.

Now let’s expand this a little further, shall we? In the morning, when I came down from my morning shower before leaving for work, I would sit with a cup of coffee and a newspaper, stare out into space and wish I wasn’t going out in the traffic, having a stuffy meeting somewhere, or in a hurry to meet a deadline. Today, TLW sits with a sleepy scowl, coffee in hand, wishing SHE didn’t have to go anywhere.

While at the office, on occasion I would call and there would be two questions I would ask: “Any mail?” And “What’s for dinner?” TLW puts a different spin on it: “Any interesting mail?”

When I came home from work, I looked at the mail, got a drink, or TLW made me one (she’s Irish), and I sat down to eat, and answered her questions, listened to her complaints or neighborhood and family gossip. Today she comes home, gets a drink (she’s still Irish) and reads the mail, and I pry out of her how her day went.

The only thing I can’t get her to do is watch a ballgame, but then that would mean I would stop!

joedelbroccolo@yahoo.com

No comments: