Thursday, September 20, 2007

LOVE IS A MANY SPLENDOR THING


If you know me, you know by now that Mom has a boyfriend. Being 89 years of age doesn’t stop dear old Mom, if anything she thrives on her age, like a test pilot, pushing herself to record speeds at her age.

Recently, Henry, Mom’s boyfriend was admitted into the hospital to remove some stones that are causing him great pain. I took her to visit Henry and it was like walking with a peacock. Since Mom volunteers at the very same hospital, she is very proud of the fact that she volunteers and wore her badge and strutted around the place, pointing out where she eats, works, where she signs in, which stair case she uses, the facts that if she was ever admitted to the hospital, she would get free phone service and free TV. What really impressed me though was that she was in front of me by at least three steps at all times! I felt like a little kid once again as she almost took me by the hand to lead me around the hospital, as I tried to keep up! To make matters worst, she is so strong she pulled open these big heavy doors like they were made of paper!

We found Henry sitting up in a chair, waiting for a nurse to finish up making his bed. Connected to an IV machine, tubes coming out of his hand, he greeted us and offered Mom the chair. All poor Henry got was a reprimand for getting up, which I guess he shouldn’t have done. But once Mom was firmly seated in her chair, she began to check out all that was involved in poor Henry’s hospital stay. What was in the IV bag; how was the food, were the nurses paying attention to him, who was the anesthesiologist, and most importantly: Henry gets free phone service and TV.

I was glad that after the visit she wanted to go home and fold her clothes, because I needed the rest. She is like the energizer bunny, going and going and going.

Help prevent reader fatigue: write to stop this blog from proliferating by writing to:
joedelbroccolo@yahoo.com

No comments: