Sunday, October 14, 2007

HOW TO INSULT WITHOUT REALLY TRYING

It was a long overnight flight from NYC to Dublin Ireland, and landing as we did at 8:00 am Dublin time, I was tired and all the while being a little anxious. Getting off the plane, we entered the customs area when I noticed that my hearing aid tube; that connects the mold in the ear to the actual aid had a slit in it, and made it difficult to hear in that ear.

Passing through customs, we ventured over to the car rental counter where we had reserved a car, and thinking about the broken tube, I figured I could tape it with some scotch tape and it would work until we got home again in a few weeks. Sitting behind this long rental counter was this young attractive woman, smartly dressed and looking very efficient. After finishing up the paper work and showing her my license, and getting the keys and instructions for the car, I thought I’d ask her for some scotch tape.

Me: “Excuse me, but do you have a piece of scotch tape I could have?”
Her: “Looking at me quizzically, “Pardon?”
Me: “Scotch tape, I need just a small piece.”
Her: And what’s wrong with Irish tape?”
Me: “Huh?”
Her: “What do you need the tape for?”
I show her
Her: “Oh, you mean cellophane tape!”
Me: “Oops, sorry.”

Take me out of my environment and look out for international incidents!

Help keep this country great, write to:
joedelbroccolo@yahoo.com,
Tell ‘em “get outta here already.”

No comments: