Friday, October 26, 2007

IF ONLY GOD WAS MY CO-PILOT

He’d let me do all the switches.

I went to Staten Island today along with TLW (The Little Woman) to visit the Institute of Basic Research, It is a 2 hour drive at best, but with commuter traffic on a rainy day takes well over three. We used TLW’s car for the comfort of ride, not the economy of gasoline.

When you drive TLW’s car, you are now driving with sacred motorized holiness. There is not much you are allowed to touch, or would dare to touch if you are smart. TLW sits next to me, and monitors my breathing, gas consumption and use of all electronic doodads that exist, with spot checks of pulse and eyesight.



With the rain coming down slowly at first, I noticed the windshield wipers going very slowly, and as the rain picked up, sped up accordingly. As the temperature changed, and the windows started to fog up, miraculously, the blower went on. As I discussed the heaviness of the traffic, again another miracle: the radio suddenly was spewing out traffic reports.

I was becoming slightly scared as each new phenomenon occurred, until the sun rose for me to tell it was not a miracle! IT WAS TLW! Yes, she does not trust me to make the major decisions about how fast the windshield wipers should go, or if the windows are fogged up enough to warrant putting on the rear defogger or blowers. At first, I was a little put out, then realized that what I had is a co-pilot, someone to “Help” me drive the car. But TLW doesn’t stop there, no sir Bob, she can also break before me; predetermine what lane to be in before the GPS, and hold on to my throat. I will not mention her running feud with the GPS. Fortunately, I didn’t have to separate them this time.

No comments: