Saturday, October 13, 2007

THE ONGOING BATTLE

It’s been over a year now, and as I gradually empty my studio of over 40 years of files and records, I do so with trepidation and deep concern. In 2008, I will be working for an up and coming direct mail agency that is requesting my expertise. Although I am retired and plan to stay that way, I agreed to do it on a part time basis.

As I sift through the books, pamphlets and resource material, I am now afraid to toss any of it, and I know if I do, I will soon wish I hadn’t. You know the old saw that once you toss something, you discover you need it.

Going through the material, a lot of what I saved makes me wonder; what the hell I was thinking about at the time. I even saved old appointment books, and desk calendars because of the little notes I scribbled on them.

The mess goes beyond the paper; you should see the volumes of records I saved electronically! There is enough stuff here to fill the Library of Congress, and the Smithsonian Institute, all the buildings.

TLW (The Little Woman) keeps admonishing me that I save and am a pack rat. I remind her that that habit kept her around. My comment leaves her looking regretful!

There is a huge volume of paper and electronic files that comes from two organizations. The New York State Association for Retarded Children, now legally known as NYSARC, of which I am a member of the Board of Governors, and the Suffolk Chapter Association for the Help of Retarded Children, where I am a member of the Board of Directors and chair a few committees. This material is building daily, and I know even as I type there is stuff on its way to me.

Between the project of cleaning out my files, a sculpture I am working on, a portrait I am painting and now glass painting, along with the board work and travel, and soon the free-lance, I am going to be one busy little trooper!

Fight mental fatigue; write to;
joedelbloggolo@yahoo.com,
Tell ‘em; get the hell out of here.

Ps-the photo is really not me; I’m a better shaver than that.

No comments: