Wednesday, October 10, 2007

WHY I’M STAYING RETIRED

Went to Wal-Mart to get an oil and filter change, and drove to the area behind the store where you should bring your car. I sat there a few minutes and some young fellow comes over to me and tells me to leave the car and go to the counter in automotive and register, because his punchboard was down.

In I go to the automotive counter and what do I see but a long line ahead of me. There is a young woman taking payments and an older gentleman, who looked like one of those retiree’s you see in a hospital volunteering his time behind the computer entering customer information for their cars to be taken care of.

The man is new, not just born, but new to the job! The man is screwing the paperwork up, royally! The man is making me nuts. The lady ahead of me now takes her turn and to avoid spelling her last name, gives him her license to read from. The man just got slower! He may be rehearsing for his wake. He has a death grip on the ladies license and is pecking on the computer with one finger, the other hand holding onto the license. He hits a key and shakes his head, no. He peers at the license and hits the keyboard once more; he stares at the license, and asks the lady some questions. The lady, being slightly overweight by about 200 pounds, shifts her weight to rest her feet, while hanging onto the counter.

Finally, it is my turn. “Can I help you?” says the gentleman.
I’m thinking: “Yes” before I die of old age, please.”
I tell him my story and he asks me for my phone number.
A long line behind me is growing by the moment.

The printer next to him is spewing out sheets of paper that he is taking from the tray and placing next to the computer, which he is mixing up because he is not watching what he is doing.

The young lady meanwhile, asks a customer if she can help him. “Si, my kar is ready?”
“Name?”
“Valesquez.”
“I’m sorry, there is no paper work yet.”
“Lady, he poot da woirk nexxt to da compuuter!”

The young lady looks and sure enough, Senior Valesques is correcto mundo!
“George, don’t touch the paper-work, let me worry about it.”
“OK”

The young lady now has to sort each four-page document for each of five customers, and her frustration level has now reached the level of the five waiting customers and mine.

Retired people should not be seen or heard in public. They don’t have the speed or dexterity to do it fast enough for the general-public, just ask Senior Valesquez.

Three old men

Three old men are at the doctor for a memory test. The doctor says to the first old man, "What is three times three?"

"274" was his reply.

The doctor worriedly says to the second man, "It's your turn. What is three times three?"

"Tuesday" replies the second man.

The doctor sadly says to the third man, "Okay, your turn. What's three times
three"?

"Nine" says the third man.

"That's great!" exclaims the doctor. "How did you get that"?

"Jeez, Doc, it's pretty simple," says the third man. "I just subtracted 274 from Tuesday."

Send your indignation to:
joedelbroccolo@yahoo.com,
tell ‘em: “Yo no hablo Espanol. Por favor.”

1 comment:

Steve Philp said...

Great joke!

It's not just retirees that seem to have problems with technology, though keeping them out of public view seems to be a good option. :)

Off the highways would be good too! I spent nearly 4 miles behind a Toyota Prius yesterday that was doing 72 in the fast lane... That guy seemed to be pedaling as fast as he could, with his wife chewing him out the whole time.

Come to think of it, maybe the wife is the reason the guy took the Walmart job in the first place!