Sunday, December 16, 2007

HO, HO, HO, OH, OH!

Friday night was the annual Holiday dance at the agency, and I played Santa. Every year it is the same thing, people from the various group homes for the Suffolk Chapter Association for the Help of Retarded Children, file by one and two at a time to get their picture taken, tell Santa what they want or rant.

This year started quietly enough, with music blaring, dancing and shouting, yelling and laughing. Suddenly this lady about in her 30’s came over from the middle of the crowd and with her walker and passed in front of me. As she passed my chair, she turned to me and said: I hate you, and spit in my direction. A number of thoughts came to mind; TLW (The Little Woman) was in disguise, or my beard had fallen off, when I realized she was angry with Santa! AND I’M LEFT HOLDING HIS BAGGAGE!

I asked her to come closer, and asked her if I could help her. She said I promised once to help her Mommy and I didn’t. I explained to her that only God helps in real ways, Santa can only bring gifts, not health. She surprised me with a smile, not a smack in the face for handing her garbage. We parted (Santa and her) on the best of terms, she hugging Santa and Santa hugging back.

That was the only incident in the ten years that I have been playing Santa, and I hope the final one. There was one couple that sat beside me, he on my left, she on my right. He said: “Hi Santa, this is my girlfriend!” Oh, they were a real couple alright, she told him what he should do and say, and he just went along with it. Life imitates itself!

When the ladies sit down, they kiss me, when the guys sit, they shake my hand, vigorously. They all love Santa, and tell him so.

Christmas started when I first walked out to the crowd, and will end New Year’s Day, when I will start looking forward to playing Santa once again. Like Superman, he has to keep his identity secret, so please, don’t tell on me.

Still looking to hear what your favorite blog is. Just remember one and send it to me in your own words to:
joedelbroccolo@yahoo.com

No comments: