Friday, December 14, 2007

LET IT SNOW-ANOTHER PERFECT DAY

You may have read my official position on rain (May 12, 2006 blog); today is my “Official Position” for snow days.

“Oh the weather outside is frightful”

The snow started around noon, and is coming down steady as I type this. I love it. Nothing better that snow if you are not driving. I, however, must be cautious since TLW (The Little Woman) and #2 Son have to drive in it.

“But the fire is so delightful”


Snow, unlike rain, is a motion enhancer. It gives me great energy to want to swim in my pool, plant a garden, do some heavy landscape work. Oh. No! I can’t, it’s snowing! Darn. Well, so much for ambition, maybe what I’ll do is read a book and do a little research on my novel, and tuck in a nap somewhere in between.

“And since we’ve no place to go”

Snow should always be viewed with caution. If you look at it too long, it can be boring. Not enough viewing can be surprising, as it accumulates on your car, and you have to clean it off.

“Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.”

My first encounter with snow was at the tender age of about 3 years that I can recollect. Living in Brooklyn, my sister took me down to the street, and I climbed up on a snow bank in front of my house. With a serving spoon, I began to dig and play on the bank. There were kids all around me from the neighborhood that I met for the first time, as I familiarized myself with the hood.

“It doesn’t show signs of stopping”

As I peek out my window, the branches are holding white ribbons of snow along the limbs and it looks colder than it did before. The suggestion of cold weather and the view of the snow make for a nice feeling when you don’t have a place to go, but your easy chair.

“And I’ve brought some corn for popping”


I think I will make a cup of tea, relax and watch it coming down. Maybe if it goes on long enough I’ll make myself a Jack Daniels Manhattan. Good for the soul.

“The lights are turned way down low”

I will keep the lights off altogether to get into my catatonic state of sleep, that drowsy no-man’s land of euphoria induced by mood and dream.

“Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.”



P.S. Don’t forget to send in those favorite blogs for publication, get credit in the book.

Want to rant about this sickness? Write to:
joedelbroccolo@yahoo.com
Tell him:

“When we finally kiss goodnight,
How I'll hate going out in the storm!
But if you'll really hold me tight,
All the way home, I'll be warm.

The fire is slowly dying,
And, my dear, we're still good-bying,
But as long as you love me so,
Let It Blog! Let It Blog! And let it Snow!”


The wonderful Christmas song “Let It Snow” was created by lyricist Sammy Cahn and the composer Jule Styne in 1945.

No comments: