Saturday, March 15, 2008

IF I KNEW YOU WERE COMING I’D A BAKED A CAKE


I was up in my studio the night before last, around 9:30 or 9:45 pm, when all of a sudden I smell olive oil! TLW (The Little Woman) was sound asleep so I knew it wasn’t her. The smell was getting stronger and stronger, and I decided to investigate.

Down I go two flights of stairs to the kitchen. As I enter the kitchen, I can’t see before me! There is a haze as thick as a London fog! I start to stick my hands out to feel my way forward, when I suddenly see this figure looming in the foreground. As I get closer, whom do I see but #2 Son, trying to wave me off, with a cell phone in his ear and a silly grin on his face. “I got it under control” he said. I look around and see that he was emulating Rachel Ray, cooking up a 30-minute house fire.

On the stove was a thin pan that you use for roasting, and a quart and a half of olive oil in the bottom. On a plate was some kind of concoction that he was going to eat.

“What the hell did you do?” asked I (Nice and gently, of course). The kitchen, den and entranceway to the house are filled with smoke. Off goes Emerald LaGasse wanna be, outside to eat. This is a winter night. I open all the doors and the skylight, and turned on both fans, one in the den and one in the kitchen to air out the place.

That boy has to go to bed early or get a hobby.

Need a hobby from this blog? Write to Eliot Spitzer, via joedelbroccolo@yahoo.com, and ask him: “What do you do at bedtime to keep yourself occupied?” I promise I will forward your questions.

Thanks to Seth Smith for the picture.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.