Thursday, March 27, 2008

TESSIE SUCCUMBS TO ANOTHER YEAR

It seems like every time March rolls around, Tessie (My older sister) gets even older!

I wouldn’t dream of telling you how old she is, but she was born 66 years ago. You crunch the numbers.

Her real name is Theresa, and she is definitely Mom’s favorite. On a scale of one to five; she is one. Mom had five children, and on that scale I am a six or seven. I’m hoping to reach a five.

Tessie has been my confidant, my special friend, the person who always calls and offers when there is a crisis. Since I was a TOT, she was always there for me.

When I saw my first snow as a child, it was Tessie who took me out in it and played with me on the sidewalks of Brooklyn, We didn’t have shovels, so she took a big soup spoon from Mom’s draw and that was my shovel.

When Dad had a gift store, he sent Tessie and me to buy boxes of candy and cigarettes. The laws were different in those days, and anyone could buy a pack of cigarettes, let alone cartons of different brands. And we took long rides on the subway to purchase the stuff, carrying a lot of money in the process.

Often, Mom would give us a long list of meat she needed for the week, and Tessie would take me along to buy it. She was like an older brother with a dress. She was the best. When we disagreed, I usually got it good, and swore revenge. Then the day came when I was about to get that revenge, and couldn’t. She was really my best friend. When I had my by-pass surgery, she was there along with The Little Woman/.

Wish Tessie had pulled my plug so you wouldn’t have to read this blog? Then write to; joedelbroccolo@yahoo.com. Tell him, for 10 large, I’ll get you, where Tessie didn’t.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, THERESA!

No comments: