Wednesday, March 05, 2008

THAT’S WHAT FRIENDS ARE ALL ABOUT

Today is my best friend Phil’s birthday. I won’t say how old he is, but he IS younger than me. We have shared a lot in our lives, we bleed for each other, laugh, cry and cheer for each other. He was there for me and I for him when we each lost a child. We celebrated our weddings and our children’s birth. We are not just friends; our friendship is very special. I am his daughter’s Godfather, and he is my daughter’s Godfather.

Phil is the guy that got me from being stoic and shy to dull and boring, and without his help, I would never enjoy life.

We met in 1965, in Mr. Ahn’s Design Class, in the Annex at New York Institute of Technology. We quickly became friends, and have never looked back. He is my brother. No, we are not related, in fact, he is matzo ball and I am meatball. Before we both married, he would come to my Mom’s house every Christmas Eve and have dinner with my entire family, and was a big part of it. I would go out into the woods and cut down a pine tree, put a Star of David on top, and it was a Chanukah bush for Phil.

When TLW (The Little Woman) and I got married, Phil, my best man stood at the altar. Being Jewish, he didn’t expect to partake in anything but vouch for me. At communion time, the Priest gave out communion and came to Phil. Phil was shocked, and opened his mouth in shock, and darn if the Priest didn’t put a wafer in his mouth! (Read my June 18, 2007 blog)

Phil has had his ups and downs, and don’t we all. But he has one thing we all stride for as men. He, like me has a beautiful and lovely wife. Linda is his rock and support, his reason to live. She props him up, lets the air out, and gave him beautiful children. He is a success in life.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, PHIL! I LOVE YOU, BROTHER.

No comments: