Friday, March 28, 2008

WHEN THERE ARE SIGNS

Having lived for a while, and being a veteran homeowner, a lesson came into play this morning, that only comes from experience.

I am in the throes of getting estimates for a wooden staircase in my home. We currently have a wrought iron one, which doesn’t bother me, but TLW (The Little Woman) hates, so out it goes.

Monday we decided to go to a millwork showroom. We felt they were over-priced, and the price was tailored to pay for the showroom and the salaries of all the people working there. However, in spite of that fact, we went for a hands-on sense of what we wanted to buy.

I called two other places I found in the Yellow Pages and made appointments, one for 6:00 PM that night and one for 8:00 AM today. The 6:00 arrived about 6:30, but called me stating that he was stuck in traffic. He showed up, gave me an estimate and with that a lot of assurances that he was insured and licensed.

The other one I am still waiting for. He is over an hour late, and no matter what his price, I will not use him. Why, because if this is how he treats new business, how will he treat a contract once he gets it? Will it take forever? Will he show up every day, and on time?

One clearly demonstrated he wanted my business, sounded professional and had a fair price. One is just grossly over-priced, and one is not too interested. Doesn’t take a whole lot to figure this out.

No comments: