Saturday, May 31, 2008

COME SATURDAY MORNING


I’m going away with my friend.

I think that line comes from one of Johnny Mathis’ songs.

Every Saturday morning that TLW (The Little Woman) is not working, I treat her to breakfast. It is one of my favorite things to do. We talk about her work, what she does and I get to see her beautiful face, without interruptions. (The lady with the coffee pot doesn’t count.)

She suddenly becomes alive, no pressing problems, just breakfast and coffee, and TLW! How could I possibly go wrong? Being married for 37 years in June, the little things become just as important as the big things in life; they all connect. My parents never did, they just took each other for granted. They knew where they stood on things, both the said and the unsaid.

Saturday will start by her asking: “So are you buying me breakfast this morning?” (I thought she’d never ask) We then both do our thing. She goes upstairs to dress, while I go to the bathroom. Guess which takes longer. We put on our coats and I open my car door, for her, go around to my side and jump in. It is at this point that she gets into her conversational mode. (My listening mode) We work like a One-way radio hookup: she transmits, and I receive.

Once we arrive at the restaurant of my choice (hey, I’m paying), we are seated, but the flow of conversation hasn’t stopped. (Transmitting or receiving, depending on who’s side your on) Once we are done eating, the occasion does not end. TLW must finish her coffee, and with that set up her next transmission for the ride home. This process may take up to 30 additional minutes!

I love every moment of it. It is one of my favorite times during a week.

Is this blog giving you gas? Do you think maybe a Pepto-Bismol will help? Wish you could get a laxative to rid yourself of this blogoriarrhea? Then write to: joedelbroccolo@yahoo.com. Tell him: “keep flushing pal. It’s a long way to the kitchen.”

No comments: