Wednesday, June 18, 2008

HELL HOUR

It struck all at once! A cross between; Armageddon and D-Day. Starting about 8:45 A.M., with the arrival of the carpenters to finish putting up the new doors, and the subsequent arrival of the Pool Man.

Two panel trucks are parked, one in my driveway and one in the street in front of the house. The neighbors must think I’m rebuilding the place. Since April, there has been at least one panel truck parked in my driveway everyday.

The gates to the backyard pool area are opened, hoses run all over the place, pumps and chemicals abound the sides of the pool! In the driveway, the garage door is opened, the carpenters are using sawhorses for the doors, there is the tapping of the hinges being set and the sawing where it is needed.

Happy, my dog is going nuts! She can’t make up her mind who to bark at first, the pool people or the carpenters. The phone rings, TLW (The Little Woman) asks how it is going. #2 Son arrives from work for a break. Floating into the house, #2 sets off the dog, interrupts the pool people then the carpenters. Makes his usual mess, feeds himself and leaves.

The pool guy calls me over, “you have a leaky valve”, says the grouch. “How long do I have?” I enquire. “No, on the circulator, there is a small leak.” “I decide to take two chlorine tabs and call him in the morning.

Happy my dog is up for more barking, doing her canine version of Madam Butterfly for the amusement of the pool people, who finally scoot out the back yard. I stand under a hail of instructions as to what needs to be done by me.

The carpenters may never leave. They look like they have a lot of work yet to do. I wonder if my life will ever be the same. Happy was settled down, then awoken by the tapping of the carpenters, giving her rendition of Carmen.

I will go to the liquor cabinet and have a drink, and maybe TLW will show up and I’ll go to work.

No comments: