Thursday, June 12, 2008

I’VE BEEN DOWN SO LONG

You remember Jim Morrison and the Doors? If not, it was a band in the 60’s and 70’s and was all the rage. It not longer exists, due to Morrison’s death in ’71. I would like to borrow one of their song titles: “ I’ve Been Down So Long.” Why?

Last week I put out calls to four licensed “handymen” to hang 10 doors in my home. I left messages with all four to call me on their answering machine. The first calls back and comes about on time, giving me an estimate, and telling me the code for a fire door is no longer paid attention to. “Don’t need it” said the man. “My brother will call you tomorrow with prices. Never heard from him again.

The second guy comes, measures, and says I’ll get back to you tomorrow. Never heard from him again.

The third guy sends a carpenter who speaks very little English, and I have difficulty understanding his accent. He measures, calls his boss for prices. Has him on my phone, and is measuring one of my doors as he speaks. Gives the phone to me and says his boss wants to speak to me. The Boss says: “I’m sorry, I sent the wrong man to you this morning when I was assigning the jobs. Can I get back to you in a half hour?” Never heard from him again.

The fourth guy never even returned my call! I guess the stock market and all the economic pundits are wrong. Business and the economy are doing gangbusters; no one cares for more work!

Me, I’ve been down for so long.

No comments: