Saturday, June 21, 2008

JOY COMES IN MANY FORMS


I awoke with a purpose the other morning, eager to rise from bed and get started! And what made me so eager you ask? Flowers, topsoil, plants and trees, and results, are the ingredients to make me happy. I must not forget results.

Over the last few years, I have slowly built my property around the house to be functional. Functionality in that anywhere I stand, I look at something beautiful. To me functional can mean beauty, and flowers and trees, plants and landscaping that pleases the eyes.

Around my pool, there is a beautiful stone deck, with random brick made from red stone that is surrounded by bushes and trees. It leaves me in a peaceful mood, to sit in my yard in mid-afternoon, listen to birds singing and an old owl in the distance. The old owl sounds as if he is giving me slow lazy reports of what is occurring in the neighborhood. It enters my ears and makes me sleepy. Sometimes I write out there, sometimes I sketch, and sometimes I just sit and look and listen. What sounds so sedate and serene is exciting in itself, if that is possible.

I wander to the side of the house, where everything started many years ago. I built a garden in my son’s memory. I did every bit of it by hand. It was something I wanted to do for him, he passed on so young, he really never knew me, or I him. I often sit on a wall I built and think of him, what he would be doing today if he lived, how old he would have been, and sometimes, when there is tension in my life, a place to go and rest.

The results from a plan in which you build your landscape make me excited. To stand back and admire the flowers or arrangements of trees or bushes or small walls I built. I try not to make the man made objects take over, just supplement, I remind myself, it is nature we love, not Lowes or Home Depot.

No comments: