Friday, June 06, 2008

A WALK IN THE PARK


Today was a quiet day. The kind of day that I like to take walks in the park for. The park I go to; Raynor Park in Lake Ronkonkoma is filled with ballplayers, tennis and handball players, and young Mommies with their brood, the Mommies providing a sight to behold in their skimpy outfits. Disgusting! Every time I go there and look for them, they’re there! Gee!

I stopped at a bench and took out my drawing book and a couple of pencils to do a little sketching, taking in a nice little scene or two, and while I drew, I kept hearing the sound of the Mommies encouraging their children. The kids would squeal in delight or protest. Teenagers started to come to play handball, on special courts constructed for it, grunting and pushing themselves to respond to their opponent. Some, stood on the field of dreams, bat or glove in hand, dreaming of being another Jeter or Wright, picturing the 50,000 or so surrounding them, cheering their every move. It is the same dream that every kid has who plays baseball.

I couldn’t help but notice a young married couple that arrived with tennis racquets in hand, ready to beat each other into submission, then go home and one will quietly gloat while the other quietly fumes, secretly vowing revenge.

But with all that noise I heard, all the fun that was had, I had the most, I didn’t sweat, didn’t hurt myself, nor did I struggle to beat anyone’s brains in! I call that retirement.

THANKS TO JO ELLEN AND SETH SMITH FOR TODAY’S CARTOON