Tuesday, July 01, 2008

#2 SON, MY SOCIAL CONSCIENCE

It seems every now and then, I get caught in a fire storm of anti-establishment rhetoric! It seems my social conscience comes in the form of #2 Son. Every time I see him coming, I want to hide, but he finds me.

This evening I was cooking dinner, actually making a salad, and feeling good. TLW (The Little Woman) was on her way home, and we would eat soon.

Who comes downstairs from his den of social justice but #2 Son. It seems like he always wants to bait me into a social argument. I did my arguing when I was a young man; now I want to rest, not argue. But does he let me rest? No!

It seems all the social ills of the world are my fault. I shot the criminal more than once, I made the government overspend, I caused all the poor people in the country, let alone the world. I’m surprised anyone ever talks to me!

Whenever he walks by, I pray that he walks past me, or doesn’t even see me. I like him better when he sleeps, less arguing. Now I know I’m not responsible for most of the world’s ills, but I certainly feel like it after a robust discussion with #2 Son. Sometimes I think he wants me to apologize for whatever has occurred that was tragic! Me, all I want to do is read, eat nap and swim in my pool, write a little and do a little painting.

I blame this all on bad karma. It started when I started rooting for the New York Mets, Jets, Knicks and islanders. You notice the trend here? Losers, all losers. Sometimes they die valiantly, most times pathetically, but losers. You can at least say they are consistent. Consistent losers. But it is like a man that marries a woman that gets overweight, loses some teeth or becomes a shrew, you still love them all the same. I hope #2 Son marries a shrew, so he can be too busy hiding from her to bother me about the world’s ills.

No comments: