Sunday, July 06, 2008

GETTING A BANG, OUT OF THE HOOD


First of all, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO SEAN O’HARA! Sean is my Niece Laurie and Nephew Gerard’s oldest son. Sean is over six feet; young, handsome, a scholar and an athlete, just like me. (Ah, whom am I kidding?)

This past Fourth of July, TLW (The Little Woman) and I (me) went to a neighborhood Bar-B-Q to celebrate. Gema and Bill, two very nice people, with two beautiful daughters who live just up the block, gave the party and the entire crowd was there!

I love to see everyone on these neighborhood occasions. To touch base, laugh and have a drink makes for a good time, and the food was plentiful and delicious. Bill lives on a corner, and across the street, his neighbor had fireworks, while next door, the same story. Sitting under a canopy or tent, in a lawn chair, we were able to witness an incredible display of patriotism. Part of patriotism to me is spending money. But here they were super patriotic, and blew their money up!

Bursting overhead in the twilights last gleaming, I witnessed $60, $120 and sometimes-larger amounts as well over $4,000 in fireworks blew up! All I could think of was the open words to the National Anthem: “Jose, can you see?” I sure could senior; it was a lot of money getting blown up! I wonder how far they could have traveled at $4.29 a gallon of gas, instead.

My baby sister Joanne Uyeno (Pronounced “Wayno”) sent me the Pepsi Commercial, which we all remember, but still made me laugh.


P.S. Your prayers must have worked, Joe O’Hara. Who I mentioned in yesterday’s blog, won’t need a pace maker after all! It turns out to be stones. WOW! How could the doctors come that close to a mistake like that!

No comments: