Friday, July 18, 2008

GREAT EXPECTATIONS


Being how I consider myself an artist, there are certain standards I have to uphold. One of those standards is to draw a line with a ruler. It seems that every time someone sees my art, they are very nice, then say: “I can’t even draw a straight line with a ruler.” That is standard.

I on the other hand have ways to draw straight lines without a ruler, but if I do that they will really feel inadequate. I want to tell the teachers I can’t teach myself, the doctors I can’t even take an aspirin, and I’m sure I can find something I can’t do in every field.

I don’t think it great shakes to draw, I think teaching, or healing, or singing, are great shakes. Taking an inventory, or filing properly or directing a movie, are indeed great shakes. I guess what I’m getting at is that we all have talent, in every endeavor, but of varying degrees. We look for the thing we do best and that is where we point our noses. It makes for a great world. I don’t know if my doctor can draw, but he does heal. I would rather he heal.

So all you people out there-YOU ARE INDEED TALENTED, you just don’t think what you do is great shakes, but to me it is.

No comments: