Saturday, July 05, 2008

JOE O’HARA

There is a man I know, named Joe. Joe O’Hara, father of my nephew Gerard, Father-in-law of my niece Laurie. I look forward to seeing Joe whenever there is a family function that involves his family, too.

Joe is just a nice, decent individual who raised wonderful children and is married to a wonderful woman. The family is cheerful, warm and gracious, just like Joe.

Joe makes me feel welcomed whenever I see him. We don’t have to impress each other; we are not looking to. I am looking to talk to a man whom I’ve known now for a number of years, about 18 years. I look forward to it because he has some wonderful observations that are based on homespun good sense and a great attitude.

When one of his children is around him, you can see love in his eyes. It seems, the love gets reflected back into his children’s eyes, too. I’m not sure who is reflecting on whom, actually.

I often wonder how wonderful it must have been to have him as a Dad. I saw him lose two beautiful Grandchildren at a young age, and along with that tragedy goes the fact that they never had the experience of learning about their Grandfather.

Joe sits quietly at these functions at my Sister and Niece’s homes. He doesn’t need attention, just a seat to observe what is going on, and bask in his children and grandchildren.

Well, today we need to pray for Joe! He is going to get a heart pace maker on Monday. I suspected he would need one some day, because his heart is just so big, even for a tall man. Fortunately: there are pace makers in this world, just to insure the world that people like Joe can live long and productive lives.

Joe’s production and contribution to this world is who he is. It has been a wonder product!

Pray for Joe, his wife Joan, and his family. They are people that the world needs.

No comments: