Friday, August 08, 2008

WHAT DID YOU SAY?

Today I’m on an annoyance kick. A rant if you will. What has my shorts in a knot? Some of the “lingo” I hear these days.

The other day I was taking a walk in the mall and a little girl about 12 was walking with her girlfriends. She was talking into a cell phone, and as she did, I overheard a small part of her conversation.

I for one hate to hear these trendy terms like: “My bad!” It makes me realize how badly we do communicate with each other. I know my diction and grammar are not the best, but I refuse to reach for hocus-pocus lexicons to show I’m “Hip” or now.

In the little girl’s conversation, she was: “Pissed-off”. I thought about it for a moment and figured was she happy or sad? Wouldn’t she be angry if she were: “Pissed-on”? I mean, someone takes the time to avoid you while they pissed, or “pissed-off” your locale? If I was “pissed-on”, I’d be “pissed-off” as they say. It gets kind of confusing.

Imagine: “He pissed on me, so I’m pissed-off.”

Tune in tomorrow, when I may write about “&$%#”.

No comments: