Saturday, September 13, 2008

A FLIMSY THING CALLED: LIFE!


When I was a young feller, and met TLW (The Little Woman), life was full with good times and wonderful people. The future was exciting, and life was good. Recently some of those wonderful people have passed on, and life doesn’t seem so good, and those of us that are left, I have to hold a little closer.

I don’t wish to be melancholy, but when someone you know passes on, it always triggers memories. Driving through TLW’s old neighborhood, where I first met her, the memories are really stirred up. Her family, Aunts and Uncles, and people she introduced to me because of her family. The church where we married, the stores and restaurants we frequented, all bring back pleasant times in my life. I guess I adopted TLW’s haunts too.

Attending a funeral mass for a good man, that left many good memories, (see yesterday’s blog,) leaves me sad. Larry lived in TLW’s world, and that is how I met him and his lovely wife ‘Prudy’. As I was driving to the church, I realized that life is like a piece of paper, where my name is the center of the paper, and everyone else, TLW, my kids, Mom and Dad, and all my family, friends and acquaintance’s names are written on the paper. Whenever someone is born, I add a name on the paper, whenever someone passes on; I cut the name out of the paper. When I step back, I see holes in my life.

There is a lot of joy to be had in life if we want it. But using good judgment and common sense are important to the input of that joy. I married TLW, and that was the best thing I could have done with my life. She has given me special memories, that I will savor the rest of my life. My children have all made me laugh at one point or another. No matter what happens, those moments remain special because they made me happy. Sometimes the memories are blended into one child and another, not quite sure which child did what to make me laugh.

I accuse TLW of not laughing enough, yet I know she is probably laughing at me, and thinking at least; “he can be amusing”. She laughs best if she laughs at herself. Or me.

So hang on, laugh, love and share good times. Be giving, and thankful, it is all we get.

A special thought for my Father-in-law, Jim. Today would be his birthday!

No comments: