Wednesday, September 10, 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DAD


Yesterday, September 9th, was my Dad’s 92nd birthday.

Dad wasn’t a very fancy man, didn’t even finish high school. He didn’t even live to see his 75ft birthday, dying from lung cancer.

Dad had a great love for his grandchildren. His first grandchild had her birthday celebrated on the 17th of every month for a full year! He would haul the whole family down to my Sister’s house, with a cake and we would have to sing: ‘Happy Birthday’!

Other things made Dad who he was. He insisted on a steak dinner on Saturday nights, and pasta on Sundays. He had to have a big bowl of soup on Monday nights. On Sunday evenings, he would send us out to the deli for cold cuts. Dad would then make the best sandwiches I ever had, with left over salad and mayo. Dad was a master. But come those summer evenings! Then his genius took hold! He’d get a tall glass and fill it with cream soda, vanilla ice cream and cantaloupe pieces. Sometimes he’d add a little milk.

Mom was the religious person in the house, but unfortunately, Dad would get a hold of me and re-teach me a prayer or two. For example, in the “Our Father” Dad rearranged the pray where we said: “Give us this day our daily bread” to: “Give us a steak and our daily bread.”

He was a great storyteller, and had a wonderful sense of humor. Just like Mom, when things were good, they would tease each other, and even a bit of playful fisty cuffs would occur, with Dad running away for his life!

Every time I watch a ballgame, I think of Dad. He took me to Ebbets Field to watch the Brooklyn Dodgers play. We would watch the game son TV and he loved Jackie Robinson and all the Dodgers. He taught me to love the game, and tried to make a pitcher out of me. One day, he got a rubber ball and squatted down in front of my Grandmother’s house, and told me to pitch. I threw the first pitch, Dad missed catching it, and smack into his face it goes! “OK, that’s enough for now!” said Dad.

Helping people was Dad’s passion, and taking me along to assist him was part of his gift giving. We did almost everything together, including working together when I was in high school and college. He would help widows and sisters or people who he thought needed some kind of help. He lent money and my time very freely.

I really hope he is up there, sitting in front of a TV with one of his favorite snacks, watching the Brooklyn Dodgers have a big inning.

No comments: