Sunday, September 21, 2008

IMPLIED FLATTERY


And it costs only 20¢!

The other day I took my car to my mechanic for a NYS Inspection. I’ve been going to this mechanic, Mike Sabotino, for way over twenty years. As I was paying, Mike asked me how retirement was going then asked how old I was. When I told him, he said he didn’t think I was that old!

A day later, I went to a seminar by my broker who I’ve known now for ten years, Ed Costello who asked the same question. When I told him, he too said he didn’t think I was that old. I thought: “WOW!”

Today I went to my bagel shop and bought a buttered bagel with a coffee, and usually I pay $1.75, a senior citizen rate. The going rate for you youngsters is $1.95. A young lady was taking my order. She tallied up the bill and announced: “$1.95, please.”

I puffed my chest out and looked around at all the old guys. Yes, I was too young for the discount! I was a young guy once again. You guys can have your 20¢ discount, I’m going to drink from the fountain of youth. Hey, maybe the young lady will ask for my phone number.

Please remember my buddies Joan and Anita

No comments: